Pottstown’s High Street Yoga; Room to Stretch, Quiet to Reflect

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Metta Meditation




I begin each yoga class with everyone lying on the floor breathing, centering and grounding. Most days we breathe and occasionally I read a poem, passage or a guided meditation. Today I was drawn to the following Metta Meditation. There are many variations to the practice. This is the one I read. After class a student asked me to post the meditation on my blog because it touched her.


May I be happy.
May I be peaceful.
May I be safe from harm.
May I enjoy happiness and the root of happiness.
May I experience ease and well-being in body, mind and spirit.
May I be free from suffering.
May I hold myself with softness and care.


The practice of Metta Meditation translates to ‘loving kindness meditation’ It opens the heart to oneself, to others and to all of life. It develops tranquility and concentration and provides a way to work with anger and fear. Metta is practiced silently repeating the passage above; sending thoughts of loving-kindness to self. The meditation goes on to send thoughts to a loved one, then on to an acquaintance, a stranger, someone you are in conflict with and to all beings. Today we began with self and it is a powerful message. I came across this poem by Rumi and I think it defines the meaning of Metta.

A pearl goes up for auction
No one has enough,
so the pearl buys itself
-- Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment