Pottstown’s High Street Yoga; Room to Stretch, Quiet to Reflect

Thursday, July 22, 2010

There's Always time for Yoga




A mantra I need to repeat to myself often….. Getting ready for a weekend camping with friends I waited until the last minute to pack. In between clients and trying to have fun with my kids I spent a good part of the day rushing. My husband is out of town for the week and won’t be home until late tonight. That leaves most of the organizing to me. Exhausted, I rushed out the door to my Thursday night yoga class. Within 5 minutes of the class I was at peace. I felt completely at ease and knew I was exactly where I needed to be. What would I do with out yoga in my life? It grounds me, slows me down and puts things into perspective. Driving home from class I was completely relaxed. (So relaxed I forgot to stop at CVS for the last minute items like sunscreen and bug spray) I began to wonder “what would the world be like if everyone practiced yoga everyday?” Why don’t more people do yoga? If only they understood the benefits……

If I didn’t have to teach a class tonight I can guarantee that I wouldn’t have taken the time to do yoga. I would have continued rushing; felt stressed and not finished most of what needed to be done. Instead I spent an hour and a half breathing and stretching and walked in the door with calm and perspective. The boys helped me make pumpkin bread, (from a box not homemade) but even so we’ll have a delicious treat for our trip. I’ve finished most of the stuff on the list and even have time to blog about it.

I’ve heard it, and said it over and over, the times in life when we don’t think there is time for yoga is when we need it the most. I experienced that with clarity tonight.

At the end of every class while students transition from Savasana I like to read a passage, proverb, quote or poem. Coincidently (or not) tonight I read the following

Hence, there is a time to go ahead and a time to stay behind.
There is a time to breathe easy and a time to breathe hard.
There is a time to be vigorous and a time to be gentle.
There is a time to gather and a time to release.
Can you see things as they are
And let them be all on their own?
~ Lao~Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment