Pottstown’s High Street Yoga; Room to Stretch, Quiet to Reflect

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pigeon Pose/ Eka Pada Rajakapotasana


Pigeon Pose/ Eka Pada Rajakapotasana;
Type of pose: Hip opener, Backbend
Benefits: Stretches the thighs, groins, back, and psoas. Opens the chest and shoulders.

Pigeon Pose, my favorite pose. I want to do it every class, but realize not everyone shares my enthusiasm. People love it or hate it. This evening while doing a Yin Sequence, gentle, long held, forward and back bends, I fell asleep doing pigeon pose. A sudden noise startled me awake and out of a dream! I was dreaming about a local Italian restaurant, dreaming about spinach ravioli while lying in pigeon pose! Crazy I know especially for the people with tight hips, or knees and find pigeon uncomfortable and painful.

Why do some poses feel so good to one person and can be so difficult for another? Why do we prefer one over the other? For me I practice the ones I’m good at. Anatomically speaking, my hips are flexible, therefore pigeon is easy for me to come in and out of and I do it often. So often I fall asleep and dream about ravioli! Not very ‘yogic’ but still very funny!

Namaste’

No comments:

Post a Comment