Pottstown’s High Street Yoga; Room to Stretch, Quiet to Reflect

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Vatayanasana




Warning this pose isn’t for everyone.

Vatayanasana – Means a ‘horse’ because the pose resembles that of a horses face.

From Light on Yoga B.K.S Iyengar “In this pose the hip joints receive proper circulation of the blood and minor deformity in the hips and thighs is corrected. The pose is also good for stiffness in the sacroiliac region.”

Yoga with my kids is often spontaneous, on the living room floor, among homework folders, pillows and our large black cat Sky. I’m not sure how it starts but I’m always thrilled when it does. We break out the book Light on Yoga by B.K.S Iyengar and the boys LOVE to try some of the advanced poses. They each take turns thumbing through the book and find the most complicated and each take a turn. It’s fun, its funny and one of my favorite times with the boys.

They remind me of the fun in yoga; that it’s ok to fall or stumble in a balance, to take risks, to laugh and to be ok with where I am with out judgment. They remind me of the true bliss of being in the moment.

Above is a picture of my middle son helping with a Yoga Kids Class and being in his favorite pose Horse Pose. Remember this pose isn’t for everyone! But enjoy your pose with sheer joy and think about what you can learn from your kids.

Namaste’

No comments:

Post a Comment