Pottstown’s High Street Yoga; Room to Stretch, Quiet to Reflect

Sunday, January 30, 2011

30 Day Yoga Challenge ~ Week 4




Week 4? How is it possible?

I started week 4 last Sunday at a heated power yoga class. This style of yoga is completely different then how I teach and what I prefer. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about comfort and routine and about taking risks. This class was a perfect opportunity for me to try something out of my comfort zone

The class was difficult and different and I liked it. I really liked the instructor and his gentle cues and reminders to move with breath. The room was heated and there was no music. I’ve discovered that I really like the heat. I like the feel of my hamstrings lengthening and the quiet was nice too. At one point in a forward fold the instructor told me to open my eyes. I whispered back and said “I like them closed” and he said “In power yoga, Beryl Bender Birch says that there is only one time when the eyes are closed and that is when you can hold a pose for three hours” Interesting I thought and I tried my hardest to keep my eyes open because I was in a Power Yoga Class after all, but it was very hard for me.

I ended week 4 this week at a different studio at a general hatha class, more my style. I LOVED it and the instructor chose all of my favorites! How did she know? Pigeon, dolphin, legs up the wall, supported handstand at the wall! I enjoyed every second of the class, the poses at the wall, the music, and the extra long Savasana.


Before the 30 day challenge I rarely went to a yoga class, maybe once a month if I was lucky. During this challenge I recognized the value of taking the time for myself. I will continue finding local studios and attend a class once a week.

There are just a few days left for me until I hit the 30 days. I’m planning to continue this and make yoga a daily practice for me. I’ll miss the community we’ve built during this challenge and I’m sure the group will be hearing from me randomly when I need the support! Susan I need a quote! Pam I need a podcast! Carrie, come to a class with me! Thanks all!

Namaste’

1 comment:

  1. Anytime, Barb. I would love to take a class with you...one where you are not my teacher. I would love to make a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday class. Call me anytime, I am usually up for something.

    Namaste' dear teacher and friend. You inspire me to be a better person! I am so grateful to you for introducing me to a practice and a community or wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete